Community Nutrition Services - Gibsons Health Unit
Our Dietitian supports healthy eating, which promotes healthy growth and development and prevents chronic disease. We support healthy eating and the enjoyment of a variety of food, including multicultural choices, by:
- Encouraging the sharing of food with family and friends
- Advocating for community food programs that support food security (e.g., community gardens, community kitchens)
- Promoting healthy attitudes about food, eating and body size
- Creating supportive environments that promote healthy eating and active living
- Promoting healthy eating messages
- Working with food banks and other community organizations to address food challenges for at-risk populations using a community development approach
- Participating in local, provincial and/or national committees that advocate for nutrition policies for various target groups and assist with the development of nutrition standards, food policies and resources
We also provide a range of services for school staff, students, parents and caregivers of school-aged children including:
- Program planning (e.g. breakfast and lunch programs, school gardens, farm to school)
- Helping schools to develop policies about food and healthy eating. Supporting staff, parents and students to follow food and healthy eating policies and guidelines.
- Providing advice and support on implementing the Guidelines for Food and Beverage Sales in BC Schools (e.g. food service, fundraisers, vending machines, and other school events)
- Providing education sessions to staff and parents (e.g. professional-development day workshops, parent advisory council meetings on topics such as weight bias, nutrition policy, etc)
- Providing healthy eating resources (e.g. Canada's Food Guide, nutrition and body image lesson plans and resources)
- Helping school staff, parents and caregivers find appropriate nutrition services for students
These services are free-of-charge.
Hours of operation
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.