GF Strong Adult Concussion Services (GFACS)
Read My Guide: Concussion (an
online self management to concussion care resource) open to all.
The GF Strong Adult Concussion Services (GFACS) offers 2 streams of service:
GFACS Group Education Session
GFACS Rehabilitation Program
GFACS Service Model
Clients are referred to the GFACS: Group Education Session
Clients are discharged back to the care of the family physician or medical clinic. Primary care provider is encouraged to prioritize the assessment and treatment of depression/anxiety, sleep, and headaches in individuals following concussion as per Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation (ONF) 3rd Edition Guideline for Concussion / Mild TBI.
Clients who attended the GFACS: Group Education Session and continues to have persistent concussion symptoms may be referred to GFACS: Rehabilitation Program. Note: Referral form to GFACS: Rehabilitation Program will be made available directly to the family physician/medical clinic after the client attended the GFACS: Group Education Session.
Worksafe BC clients:
- Currently eligible for the GFACS Group Education Session stream only.
- January 1st, 2020 onwards: WorkSafe BC clients will be ineligible for GFACS
- Before September 2019: Eligible for GFACS Group Education Session. A re-referral is required for a one-time consultation session if client continues to have persistent concussion symptoms.- September 1st, 2019 to December 31, 2019: Eligible for GFACS Group Education Session only (no one-time consultation).- January 1st, 2020 onwards: ICBC clients will be ineligible for GFACS.
GFACS: Group Education Session
- Criteria for GFACS: Group Education Session referral
- Live within VCH
- Aged 18 + years old
- Diagnosis of concussion/mTBI less than 1 year ago
- An Occupational Therapist provides a group based education about concussion, concussion recovery, and self-management strategies.
- Referred by a physician or nurse practitioner using the attached GFACS referral form.
GFACS: Rehabilitation Program
- Criteria for the GFACS: Rehabilitation Program:
- Admission criteria as above
- Attended GFACS: Group Education Session
- Experiencing persistent concussion symptoms
- Provide a time-limited concussion treatment emphasizing self-management.
- Possible team members include: Occupational Therapist, Physiatrist, Psychologist, Physical Therapist, and Vocational Rehabilitation Counsellor.
- Referral form for Rehabilitation Program is provided to the primary care provider following client's attendance to the GFACS group education session.
Parking & transportation
Paid parking is available. Pay stations are located at the main entrance to the building and at the staff entrance on 28th Avenue.
Download parking rates for VCH facilities