The main floor of the new Dogwood Lodge will house the new, purpose-built Adult Day Care Program. This co-location of services creates efficiencies and opportunities to share resources such as food services, clinic spaces and a hair salon. Additionally, as care needs change, future uses may include respite beds in the residential facility, providing easy transition for Adult Day Program clients if required.
The Adult Day Care Programs will provide a range of health, social stimulation and therapeutic recreational programs in a supportive, culturally respectful environment. Clients benefit from group interaction and their caregivers have a break, knowing their loved one is safe and cared for.
The Adult Day Care Program team includes a nurse, recreation coordinator, activity workers and volunteers. Clients attend programs appropriate to their capability and interests. Services include:
- Clinical services, including ongoing assessment, rehabilitation and diagnosis
- Transitional care (Step-down) for frail elderly reintegrating into the community after an acute care stay
- Support for people with dementia
- General supports to enable clients to maintain/improve independence, functional capacity and health status so they can remain at home/in the community
- Geriatric chronic disease management by a nurse
- Therapeutic activities such as fall prevention, strength and balance exercises
- Social support to offset isolation that can increase risk