Updated July 2017
Vancouver Coastal Health has signed agreements for eight new and expanded residential care facilities, providing 943 beds across the health authority, including 225 net additional beds. The agreements are part of a $40 million, 10-year strategy that will see a significant number of the region's residential care facilities rebuilt.
VCH, like many health authorities, is planning ahead to meet the complex residential care needs of people living in our region who can no longer live safely at home with support. The Residential Care Rejuvenation initiative is the biggest improvement of residential care facilities in VCH in the past 50 years and is designed to enhance the quality of life for residents. All of the rooms will be private, with ensuite washrooms. This will give residents more privacy and ensure best practices for infection control. Spaces will be brighter and hallways wider to better accommodate wheelchairs. Special care units will provide the safety and security required for residents with advanced dementia and challenging behaviours.
A long-term goal of the project is to provide more flexibility in terms of placing residents closer to their home community, since beds will be better distributed based on community needs. The number of direct care hours that residents receive from staff will also be increased under the terms of these agreements.
Signed agreements include the following new and expanded facilities (click on the photos below to view larger images):
- Point Grey Private Hospital – 58 beds (plus 26 private beds). Expansion of existing building. Completion scheduled for early 2019.
- Casa Mia Care Centre (the Care Group) – 58 beds (plus 29 private beds). An addition will be added to the iconic Casa Mia mansion. The 1930s Spanish revival mansion will be preserved, with an addition for residents connected to the main house. The project would require a rezoning by the City of Vancouver. Completion, subject to rezoning, is anticipated for late 2020.
- German Canadian Care Home – 150 beds (plus 10 private pay beds). Existing facility will be rebuilt and expanded. Completion scheduled for late 2021.
- Villa Cathay Care Home – 192 beds (plus 32 private pay beds). Existing care home to be rebuilt and expanded. Completion scheduled for mid 2019.
- Hamilton Village Care Centre – 135 beds. New facility in East Richmond. Completion, subject to rezoning, is scheduled for early 2019.
- Fraserview – 75 beds. Replacement and expansion of existing building in South Richmond. Construction is underway with completion scheduled for mid 2018.
- Creekstone Care Centre – 150 beds (plus 30 private beds). New facility on lower Mountain Highway. Completion, subject to rezoning, is scheduled for early 2019.
Silverstone Care Centre – 125 (plus three private beds). In May Council put the Trellis application on hold in order to further develop policies regarding long-term care. In July Trellis reached an agreement with the Town of Gibsons to obtain a parcel of land suitable for the construction of Silverstone Care Centre. VCH to undertake a comprehensive due diligence process to see what impact this development will have on the agreement with Trellis.
*Hamilton Village, Creekstone and Silverstone will be built and operated by the Trellis Seniors Services.
The agreements were reached through a procurement process that began in the fall of 2014. As with all public procurement, this rigorous process was bound by strict confidentiality and conflict of interest procedures.
Residential care services include 24/7 nursing care and support to individuals who can no longer live safely at home with supports. Facilities are licensed and regularly inspected by Community Care Facilities Licensing, which posts all its reports on VCH’s website. Services are provided to eligible VCH residents through a mix of facilities that are directly owned and operated by VCH, affiliated with Providence Health Care or contracted through private or not-for-profit providers.
German Canadian Care Home
Villa Cathay Care Home
Creekstone Care Centre
Point Grey Private Hospital and Casa Mia Care Centre
Hamilton Village Care Centre and Fraserview
Silverstone Care Centre
General News Release (June 2016)