We see mountain bike riders in our emergency rooms every day — broken bones, concussions, internal bleeding, organ damage and head and spine injuries. Last season, 100 mountain bikers needed major emergency surgery.
The majority of the most serious injuries in B.C. last season occurred in Whistler (58 per cent), North Vancouver (13 per cent) and Squamish (10 per cent).
Peter was one of those statistics. In October, while riding a trail on Mount Fromme, the Burnaby resident fell off his bike and landed on a pile of rocks. Even though he had taken a skills course and was wearing protective gear he broke his neck in four places.
- Wear protective gear
- Take a skills course
- Slow down
- Know your limits
- Know the trail
- Check your bike
- Private coaching session with Endless Biking
- Protective gear
Contest now closed. Congrats to the winners @DavidL604 on Twitter and Ming Robin on Facebook! We loved seeing everyone’s entries. Looks like you’re all having fun riding this season!
- Post your own mountain biking photo on Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram with the hashtag #IPledgeToShredSafe
- Follow VCH on Twitter and Facebook
- Your photo can be any mountain biking picture. The photo could be of you biking, of the view, etc. You don’t have to be in the photo.
- You can enter up to three times – once each on Twitter, Facebook and/or Instagram.
- Your account must be public on Twitter and Instagram. For Facebook, make sure your post is public.
- All entries must be received before 11:59 pm PST, June 30, 2016.
This contest is open to legal residents of the VCH region (see map of the VCH service area
). Employees of Vancouver Coastal Health are not eligible. One entry per person per social media site (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram). For example, one person could enter up to three times, one each site.
By entering the contest, the entrant consents to the release of his/her name and image for promotional use by VCH. Entrants must own the rights to the photo/s.
There will be one grand prize and one secondary prize. Prizes include a two hour private coaching session courtesy of Endless Biking and protective gear.
The prizes are not refundable nor transferable. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
All entries must be received before 11:59 pm June 30, 2016. A random draw for the winner will be held from all eligible entries.
Big thanks to the local biking community for getting behind this initiative.
Partners include Endless Biking, the North Shore Mountain Bike Association, House of Chain, Fraser Valley Mountain Bike Association, Squamish Off Road Cycling Association, Whistler Off Road Cycling Association, Pemberton Valley Trail Alliance, Coast Gravity Park, Mountain Biking BC and Muddbunnies Riding Club.