Vancouver, B.C. – A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared on the 6 North and 3 South medical units at Richmond Hospital. This is in addition to the 4 North Acute Care for the Elderly unit, which was placed on outbreak on December 3rd.
The units are closed to new admissions and transfers at this time. All visitation has been suspended until the outbreak measures have been lifted; the exception being for compassionate visits at the end of life.
The Richmond Hospital remains open and is prepared to safely receive and care for all individuals who require urgent and emergent care. Please do not delay in seeking care as this could exacerbate your condition.
Vancouver Coastal Health has immediately implemented strict infection prevention and control protocols to prevent further transmission of COVID-19. These include:
- Careful monitoring of patients, staff and physicians
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of all high-touch surfaces
- Closing the units to patient admissions and transfers
- Cohorting of staff to the affected areas
- Self-monitoring or self-isolation of staff/physicians as part of Public Health contact tracing
- Suspension of visitors to the unit (with exemptions for end-of-life situations)
As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, Richmond Hospital is reducing their surgical capacity prioritizing urgent and emergent surgeries and continuing with daycare surgeries.