Initial Work Permit

Bookmark and Share

How to get employment authorization

To work in British Columbia, as a non Canadian Citizen or non Canadian Permanent Resident, you will require a valid work permit. A labour market opinion (LMO) must be conducted before Citizenship and Immigration Canada will issue a work permit.

To successfully receive a positive LMO and work permit, the following steps must be taken:

  • Register with the appropriate professional association
  • Apply for a position with VCH, and receive an offer of employment for a regular-full time position
  • Provide the necessary information to VCH so we can request a positive LMO from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
  • Apply for a work permit through the appropriate Canadian Visa Office/High Commission

More information on how to apply for a work permit is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website

Pay special attention to the "Document Checklist" and include all requested information and documentation.

NAFTA work permit program

Under the NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement) program, some professionals from the United States and Mexico are not required to have a LMO conducted in order to obtain a work permit. To qualify, the international applicant must work in one of the professions listed in the NAFTA professions list.

Privacy Statement & Terms of Use|Login|Staff | © 2013 Vancouver Coastal Health