Influenza is a significant cause of death in Canada, especially among the elderly and frail. In British Columbia, more than 1,400 people die each year from influenza and pneumonia combined. A person can be infected with the virus and pass it along to others without even knowing it.
The goals of VCH's influenza prevention and control program are to reduce:
- Illness and death associated with influenza, particularly among the most vulnerable populations.
- Predictable and preventable additional pressures on the health care system that occur during influenza season.
- Promote the uptake of influenza and pneumococcal vaccine.
- Develop protocols for annual influenza vaccination of residents and staff.
- Develop protocols for preventing, identifying and controlling influenza outbreaks.
Visit the Long-term care influenza guide page.
We have posters available in multiple languages on our How to stay healthy webpage.
Long-Term Care Poster - Female Mask
Long-Term Care Poster - Male Mask
Long-Term Care - Caregiver and client
Visit the Influenza (flu) page.
Visit the Pandemic Response Plans page.