Influenza is a significant cause of death in Canada, especially among the elderly and frail. In British Columbia, more than 1,400 people die each year from influenza and pneumonia combined. A person can be infected with the virus and pass it along to others without even knowing it.
The goals of VCH's influenza prevention and control program are to reduce:
- Illness and death associated with influenza, particularly among the most vulnerable populations.
- Predictable and preventable additional pressures on the health care system that occur during influenza season.
- Promote the uptake of influenza and pneumococcal vaccine.
- Develop protocols for annual influenza vaccination of residents and staff.
- Develop protocols for preventing, identifying and controlling influenza outbreaks.
Visit the Residential care influenza guide page.
We have posters available in multiple languages on our How to stay healthy webpage.
Residential Care Poster - Female Mask
Residential Care Poster - Male Mask
Residential Care - Caregiver and client
Visit the Influenza (flu) page.
Visit the Pandemic Response Plans page.