Skip to main content

Sewer systems & filings

We work toward ensuring that places where people live, work, play or visit , and the communities they live in, are safe and healthy.

This includes ensuring sanitary disposal of waste and sustainable design of communities. Our environmental health officers also carry out noise monitoring and control in some of our communities.

Onsite sewage

Any home or building that is not connected to a municipal or city sewage system needs a method for getting rid of human waste.  Some buildings, usually in rural settings with no running water, may use an outhouse or privy.  All buildings with indoor plumbing need to have a sewage disposal system that is in compliance with the Sewerage System Regulation.

Every owner who wants to construct a new septic system, or alter or repair an existing one, must retain the services of an authorized person who may be a professional engineer or a registered onsite waste water practitioner to design and oversee construction of the disposal system.

When it is not possible to install a sewerage system on a parcel of land, the owner may choose to install a sewage holding tank. Minimum requirements must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements.

Complete the appropriate form below and submit as indicated at bottom of form.  Our staff will contact you within one business day to collect payment for Record of Sewerage System filings.

NOTE: Due to the security features of some web browsers, such as Google Chrome, the “Email to” button within the form may not launch your default email program. If this occurs, download and save a copy of the completed permit application on your computer first and then click on the “Email to” button to launch your default email program.

Sanitation guidelines for rural subdivisions

SOURCE: Sewer systems & filings ( )
Page printed:

Copyright © Vancouver Coastal Health. All Rights Reserved.