Sanitation & Noise

Ensuring your community is safe and healthy

Sanitation & Noise

We work toward ensuring that places where people live, work, play or visit , and the communities they live in, are safe and healthy.

This includes ensuring sanitary disposal of waste and sustainable design of communities. Our environmental health officers also carry out noise monitoring and control in some of our communities.

Onsite sewage

I need to build/repair a septic system

Any home or building that is not connected to a municipal or city sewage system needs a method for getting rid of human waste.  Some buildings, usually in rural settings with no running water, may use an outhouse or privy.  All buildings with indoor plumbing need to have a sewage disposal system that is in compliance with the Sewerage System Regulation.

Every owner who wants to construct a new septic system, or alter or repair an existing one, must retain the services of an authorized person who may be a professional engineer or a registered onsite waste water practitioner to design and oversee construction of the disposal system.

When it is not possible to install a sewerage system on a parcel of land, the owner may choose to install a sewage holding tank. Minimum requirements must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements.

I need to file a Record of Sewerage System or a Letter of Certification

Complete the appropriate form below and submit as indicated at bottom of form.  Our staff will contact you within one business day to collect payment for Record of Sewerage System filings.

NOTE: Due to the security features of some web browsers, such as Google Chrome, the “Email to” button within the form may not launch your default email program. If this occurs, download and save a copy of the completed permit application on your computer first and then click on the “Email to” button to launch your default email program.

General sanitation

Noise control

Our environmental health officers work in partnership with the cities to support municipal noise control programs.

For North Shore residents, call 604.983.6700 for waterfront industrial noise or call 604.98.NOISE (604.986.6473).

Contact us

Links will take you to the Find Services directory listing, which includes descriptions, contact details and related documents for our services.

Locations Served
Occupational Medicine Clinic-Vancouver General Hospital - Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care CentreBritish Columbia, Central Coast, North & West Vancouver, Powell River, Richmond, Sea to Sky, Sunshine Coast, Vancouver
Safe and Healthy EnvironmentsNorth & West Vancouver, Powell River, Richmond, Sea to Sky, Sunshine Coast, Vancouver