Why should you have a family doctor?Family doctors, also known as general practitioners or primary care physicians, help you look after your everyday health needs on a regular basis. Establishing a relationship with a family doctor who knows you well and sees you regularly over time may help you avoid some health issues and receive better health advice. We believe in taking a proactive approach to your personal health care by encouraging ongoing, comprehensive care with a family doctor.
How to find a family doctorUse any of the following services to help you find a family doctor in your area who is accepting new patients:
- Find a Family Physician
- HealthLinkBC: find health services
- Call 8-1-1 to reach HealthLink BC’s free, 24-hour telephone service, staffed by trained registered nurses, pharmacists and dieticians who can help answer your health-related questions and help you find a family doctor.
When you do not yet have a family doctor If you have a health concern that is not an emergency, and you do not yet have a family doctor, walk-in clinics provide non-emergency health care services on a drop-in basis. You can also call 8-1-1 for telephone advice.
Is it a medical emergency?Call 9-1-1 or go immediately to your nearest hospital emergency department if you have been in a major accident or are experiencing:
- Trouble breathing, or catching your breath
- Severe abdominal or chest pain/pressure
- Weakness or tingling on one side of your body
- Loss of consciousness
- Heavy bleeding
Visit our Emergency Phone Numbers page to find more specific contact information for physical and mental health resources.