Trans Specialty Care

Specialized care for transgender and gender diverse people

Trans Specialty Care

Trans Specialty Care offers knowledgeable and specialized care to transgender and gender diverse persons living in the Vancouver Coastal Health region.  We work in teams including nurses, counsellors, physicians, nurse practitioners, and social workers. We are a consultation service and work in collaboration with your family doctor. If you do not have a family doctor (GP) or nurse practitioner (NP) we can help you find options for primary care.

What services are provided?

  • Hormone initiation and stabilization
  • Surgical care planning and referrals
  • Pre-operative information and education
  • Post-operative nursing care
  • Limited counselling 
  • Hormone injection supplies
  • Assistance with identity document changes

Further information regarding the above services and therapies including a comprehensive list of support groups can also be found through the Transgender Health Information Program (THIP) at Transcare BC.

Am I eligible for Trans Specialty Care at VCH?

Services are provided to people 15 and older living in the Vancouver Coastal Health region.  Youth (15 - 24), refugee claimants, and individuals with post-operative complications who live outside the VCH Region will be given special consideration on a case-by-case basis.  

If you live outside of the VCH region, please contact Transcare BC’s Care Coordination team for help with finding care in your area.

How do I access this service?

You can self-refer by leaving a message on our intake line at 604-633-4248 or through the online contact form.  

Your primary care clinician can also fax a referral to 604-844-2223.  The intake clerk will call you with an appointment with a nurse within 1-2 weeks. 

There are no costs for the services we provide.   

Where is this service offered?

Trans Specialty Care services are offered at Three Bridges Community Centre and Raven Song Community Centre

Want more info regarding our program?

Check out our FAQ's page.

I’m a health care provider in the community and have a question about a specific trans related issue.

Most of our doctors provide transgender health advice through BC’s Rapid Access to Consultative Expertise (RACE) line. Please contact the Trans Health Doctor on Call through RACE.