In most situations, the spread of VRE and other bacteria can be controlled by diligent hand washing. Occasionally additional precautions are needed to protect others in the hospital who are ill and more likely to develop an infection. VRE can be more easily spread with diarrhea.
- Practice careful hand hygiene Hand hygiene is effective in killing germs. Lather wet hands for 30 seconds before rinsing with water, or use alcohol based hand rub and rub until hands are dry. Always clean your hands after using the toilet and before leaving your room. Staff, volunteers and visitors will also be advised to clean their hands.
- Use appropriate toileting facilities
- Avoid touching any open sores
- Do not share personal items
This includes towels, washcloths, razors, soap, creams, lotions, cosmetics, toothbrushes, nail files, combs and brushes.
- Follow your health care provider’s instructionsTell anyone who treats you that you were known to have VRE.