Health Career Access Program (HCAP)
Are you interested in getting paid to learn, and having a job waiting for you as soon as your training is done? Jumpstart your career in health care with the Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) Health Career Access Program (HCAP).
Earn while you learn through HCAP – 100% Employer Paid Education and Training
HCAP is a new entry-level opportunity for people interested in joining the healthcare sector as a Care Aide. We will pay 100 percent of your wages, tuition and books while you undergo an accelerated 12 to 18 month training program. This includes online and in-person training as well as the opportunity for hands-on learning in both home support and long-term care.
Once your training is done, you’ll have a job with VCH, with a return of service commitment for at least one year.
This program offers an easy-entry, financially supported start to long-term career growth opportunities across VCH. When your training is successfully completed, you’ll be eligible to register as a Care Aide with the BC Care Aide and Community Health Worker Registry and become a qualified health care assistant.
Why join Vancouver Coastal Health?
- Supportive, world-class team who delivers exceptional care to all
- Competitive salaries and strong premiums and allowances
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Career growth with employer supported development opportunities
- Full range of lifestyle and career opportunities, in diverse health care settings
- Culture where all voices are heard and innovator in medical care, research and teaching
Health Care Support Worker (HCSW) role
As an HCSW, you will work under the direction of a Registered Nurse or another regulated healthcare professional and perform a variety of non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare supports to clients and families in home settings in accordance with the established care plan and safety requirements.
- Grade 10, including successful completion of English 10 or equivalency. Transcripts showing 3 years consecutive, or 7 years non-consecutive study within a country with English language systems/institutions (where English is a primary, official language and the language used for education) – OR – Standardized English language
- Valid Class V BC Driver’s License (for Home Support North Shore, Sea to Sky, Sechelt, Powell River, and Bella Bella only)
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Ability to organize work
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
Please note there is a return of service commitment of a minimum of one (1) year with VCH.
A day in the life
Long-term care or assisted living
Are you interested in working in a VCH long-term care or assisted living setting? Meet a few Health Care Assistants who play a crucial role in BC’s health-care system by doing daily purposeful and life-changing work.Watch now
A day in the life: home support
Get a glimpse of the crucial work our home support workers are doing in their communities.
Life at VCH
Employee benefits and perks
We are our employees’ biggest champions, so our compensation packages for health-care professionals rank among the top in Canada.
We believe in equal opportunities for all staff members to grow and succeed. We empower you to grow your career pathway through internal mobility, employee development programs, and personalized career planning.