COVID-19 Information for Student Practice
Information related to COVID-19 guidelines around student practice at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) sites.
- Vaccination: The order requiring anyone working in the health-care sector, including students, to be immunized against COVID-19 with a primary series (at least two doses) of COVID-19 vaccine remains in place.
- Mask-wearing: Starting October 3, 2023, all health care workers, volunteers, contractors and visitors in patient areas will be required to wear a mask. This includes long term care, assisted living, as well as community and home care settings.
- Visitation: Starting October 3, 2023, visitors to long-term care facilities are required to mask in common areas of the facilities and when participating in indoor events, gatherings, and activities in the common areas.
- Enhanced screening: Starting October 3, 2023, entrances to long-term care facilities will have ambassadors to screen for symptoms of respiratory illnesses, handing out medical masks and ensuring people clean their hands.
- Single site order: Order lifted
Important: Some facility-specific guidelines regarding enhanced COVID-19 protocols remain in place. Please check with the Destination Coordinator of your accepted placement for the most-up-to-date information on the facility-specific guidelines.
Note: COVID testing should not be used to assess your readiness to work or visit. Pathogens other than SARS-CoV-2 can also transmit to others, so regardless of the nature of your illness, stay home until your symptoms improve and you feel better.
For more information on specific requirements for employers and others, please refer to:
Protecting yourself and your patients
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
Please refer to the VCH IPAC page for healthcare providers for the most up-to-date information on PPE recommendations (scroll down to "Personal Protective Equipment and Hand Hygiene" and click on "+" to expand).
Please refer to the VCH IPAC page for healthcare providers for the most up-to-date information on Dress Code guidelines (scroll down to "Dress Code" and click on "+" to expand).
General prevention guidelines
Stay at home when you're sick, even if symptoms are mild
When outside of your home, practice social distancing by keeping two meters (six feet) away from one another is something we can all do to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Avoid crowded places. This includes play dates, group walks, basketball games and gathering on the beach
Take care of your mental well-being by checking in with loved ones and practicing self-care
Cough and sneeze into your elbow or sleeve
Wash your hands regularly
If soap and water are not available, alcohol based hand rubs (ABHR) can be used to clean your hands as long as they are not visibly soiled. If they are visibly soiled, use a wipe and then ABHR to effectively clean them
Source: BCCDC website
- Residential Care Staff COVID-19 Preventive Measures PHO Order (October 8, 2021)
- Residential Care COVID-19 Vaccination status information and preventive measures order (October 6, 2021)
- Long-Term Care Staff Assignment Order by the Ministry of Health (April 15, 2020)
- Hospital and Community (Health Care and Other Services) COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information and Preventive Measures PHO Order – October 14, 2021
- Residential Care Staff COVID-19 Preventive Measures PHO Order – October 8, 2021
- BCCDC'S Interim guidance on return to work for health care workers with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 - Updated September 22, 2021
- VCH COVID-19 Student Practice Guidelines - summarize new additional practicum requirements for students returning to our facilities. Please note that our regular requirements such as SPECO remain in place.
- Student Practice Education Guideline for Healthcare Settings during the COVID-19 Pandemic (August 12, 2020) – provide guidance to the HCO and PSI sectors to promote practice education/clinical placement continuity for all health-care disciplines in BC during the pandemic.
- Post-secondary institution recommendations by the Provincial Health Officer (February 21, 2020)
- VCH Infection Prevention and Control website – provides information on COVID-19 resources for healthcare providers and general public
- VCH COVID-19 public page – provides latest updates, public health orders and letters
- Mask Use in Health Care Facilities During COVID-19 Policy
- COVID-19 Return to Campus Guidelines