CST at Vancouver Coastal Health
We've introduced a new electronic health records system at a number of VCH sites. The change is happening in phases. Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) campus went live with the system in November 2022. UBC Hospital (UBCH) is doing so in Fall 2023.
What to expect
This new system – CST Cerner – and related practice changes are designed to enhance the patient experience through improvements to the quality, safety and consistency of patient care. We thank you for your patience if you happen to experience delays in services while we get used to the new system.
What you may see onsite
- Staff attending training activities to learn the new system
- Staff using new devices, like computers on wheels, or barcode scanners that will be used to track medications for hospital patients
- Extra support staff onsite. They're here to help while staff get used to the new system. Support staff may need to assist care team members during your visit and may see or hear details about your care. Please know they are required to follow all Vancouver Coastal Health privacy and confidentiality policies.
You can still expect quality care during this transition.
Improvements for patient care
Moving forward, patients who visit VGH, UBCH or other facilities using the same system (such as Lions Gate Hospital, St. Paul's Hospital, Mount Saint Joseph Hospital, BC Cancer – Vancouver, BC Children's Hospital or BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre) can expect a better experience because their care teams will have access to more complete patient records.
Using the new system to provide patient care will mean:
- Less time repeating your health information
- Our care teams will have real-time access to the patient information they need
- Safer medication management process
- Faster access to lab results and medication therapies
Privacy and security
- Privacy and security of personal health information is one of our highest priorities. Using CST Cerner means we have the benefits of current technology, including built-in privacy and security features that meet the highest standards, as well as around-the-clock vendor monitoring and support.
- There are safeguards in place to make sure only the appropriate and required doctors, nurses and other staff members view your information.
- Physicians who have privileges at one of our hospitals will be able to view the system from anywhere. Family physicians won't use this system, but they will receive timely access to consult reports, discharge summaries, medical imaging and cardiology reports.
Have concerns about your care?
If you have any concerns about your care, please talk to your care team. If you feel your issue was not addressed or your complaint was not resolved, you can contact the Patient Care Quality Office directly.
Resources for patients of UBC hospital
CST info sheet
CST info sheet - عربى
CST info sheet - 繁體中文
CST info sheet - 简体中文
CST info sheet - فارسی
CST info sheet - 한국어
CST info sheet - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
CST info sheet - Español
CST info sheet - Tagalog
CST info sheet - Tiếng Việt
More about hospital care
Patient and caregiver services
Learn more about the services we provide to support your health care needs and help navigate the health-care system.