By making the decision to breastfeed, you are bringing many benefits to your baby, yourself and the community.
Supporting breastfeeding success
While breastfeeding is a great decision, it isn't always easy to do. If you're facing challenges and breastfeeding doesn't seem to be working for you, don't give up! There are many great resources to help you. Many people struggle with breastfeeding in the beginning, but with a little help and practice they go on to great success.
VCH supports breastfeeding through its Baby Friendly Initiative. Have a look at our breastfeeding services to find the right ones for you. You can also reach out to your Public Health Nurse, who will be a great resource and source of support.
Benefits of breastfeeding
Benefits of breastfeeding for baby
Breast milk is good for your baby because it:
- Is always fresh and ready
- Will help your baby keep a healthy body weight
- May increase protection against illnesses such as childhood diabetes
- Increases protection against ear, chest and stomach infections
- May increase protection against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Helps to prevent constipation
Benefits of breastfeeding for breastfeeding parents
Breastfeeding is good for you because it:
- Promotes closeness and bonding with baby
- Helps the uterus to return to its normal size after birth
- Helps to control bleeding after birth
- Helps to protect you against cancer of the breast and ovary
- Helps you return to a healthy body weight after giving birth
Other benefits of breastfeeding
- Saves money (formula can be very expensive)
- Saves time (no need to prepare formula and bottles)
- Is better for the environment (no formula and bottle packages to throw out)