Mental health action plan
At the request of the Ministry of Health, VCH undertook a focused review of the continuum of care and the partnerships required to care for individuals with severe addiction, often with severe mental illness, who have complex health, housing and other system needs.
We brought together clinicians, academics and researchers, government planners, and operational leaders to gather additional feedback on care models and strategies that will support this population across the continuum of care.
Through this collaborative approach, a series of goals were identified:
- Improve the ability for emergency services to respond to increased volumes and strengthen community transitions.
- Strengthen community capacity and decrease demand on acute, emergency, and police services.
- Housing first with supports: Through multi-sectoral partnerships, harness the opportunity to improve social and health outcomes for individuals with SAMI through a continuum of housing supports.
- Build capacity for early intervention and sustainable system change.
- Optimize pharmacotherapy and extended leave recall options to improve individual and system outcomes.
- Remove barriers to information sharing and privacy.