CST at Vancouver General Hospital and Clinics
We've moved from older systems and paper-based patient charts to one electronic health records system at Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) campus and approximately 50 priority clinics. A number of VGH ambulatory clinics will begin using the new system in summer 2023.
This new system – CST Cerner – and related practice changes are designed to enhance the patient experience through improvements to the quality, safety and consistency of patient care. We thank you for your patience if you happen to experience delays in services over the next few months while we get used to the new system.
What you may see onsite
- Staff attending training activities to learn the new system
- Staff using new devices, like computers on wheels, or barcode scanners that will be used to track medications for hospital patients
- Extra support staff onsite. They're here to help while staff get used to the new system. Support staff may need to assist care team members during your visit and may see or hear details about your care. Please know they are required to follow all Vancouver Coastal Health privacy and confidentiality policies.
You can still expect quality care during this transition.
Improvements for patient care
- Moving forward, patients who visit our hospital or other facilities using the same system (such as Lions Gate Hospital, St. Paul's Hospital, Mount Saint Joseph Hospital, BC Cancer – Vancouver, BC Children's Hospital or BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre) can expect a better experience because their care teams will have access to more complete patient records.
- Using the new system to provide patient care will mean:
- Less time repeating your health information
- Our care teams will have real-time access to the patient information they need
- Safer medication management process
- Faster access to lab results and medication therapies
Privacy and security
- Privacy and security of personal health information is one of our highest priorities. Using CST Cerner means we have the benefits of current technogy, including built-in privacy and security features that meet the highest standards, as well as around-the-clock vendor monitoring and support.
- There are safeguards in place to make sure only the appropriate and required doctors, nurses and other staff members view your information.
- Physicians who have privileges at VGH will be able to view the system from anywhere. Family physicians won't use this system, but they will receive timely access to consult reports, discharge summaries, medical imaging and cardiology reports.
If you have any concerns about your care, please talk to your care team. If you feel your issue was not addressed or your complaint was not resolved, you can contact the Patient Care Quality Office directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patient info sheet (English)
Patient info sheet (عربى)
Patient info sheet (繁體中文)
Patient info sheet (简体中文)
Patient info sheet (فارسی)
Patient info sheet (한국어)
Patient info sheet (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ)
Patient info sheet (Español)
Patient info sheet (Tagalog)
Patient info sheet (Tiếng Việt)