At VCH, our purpose is to come together as a collective team to deliver exceptional care and experience for all. Working towards environmental sustainability helps us to provide this quality care and experience for everyone. We are focused on planetary health, climate change and ensuring all parts of society and all populations can access health services and enjoy good health.
The Energy and Environmental Sustainability team (EES) works closely with a range of departments across VCH to reduce health care's environmental impact, and to help improve the health of individuals and the communities.
Together, our purpose is to inspire and empower all we work with, to collaboratively enable systemic transformation, so that we can restore and regenerate the interdependent health of people, place and planet – now and for future generations.
In addition to our Environmental Sustainability Policy, collectively, we focus and report on the following areas in an effort to work towards environmental sustainability at VCH:
- Climate Change: Move towards a climate-resilient health system and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in facility design and operations
- Energy and Carbon: Reduce our carbon footprint by increasing energy efficiency and reducing reliance on fossil fuels.
- Food: Develop plant-forward, local, culturally relevant and equitable food service to advance food as medicine
- Leadership and Innovation: Collaboratively, foster and culture of transformative leadership and innovation for environmental sustainability in healthcare
- Materials: Choose materials and products that contribute to human and environmental health while avoiding waste and unnecessary chemicals
- Transportation: Increase access to and use of transportation modes that reduce negative environmental impacts and benefit human health and wellness
- Water: Minimize water consumption to reduce demand on natural resources and impact on our living environments
Founded by EES, GreenCare is a network that unites efforts within the BC healthcare community to transform our healthcare system toward environmentally sustainable and resilient care for healthy people, place and planet.
For more information and access to resources, stories and more, please visit the GreenCare website.
If you have a question about environmental sustainability at VCH, please email GreenCare.