The Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre (JRSFHC) will be a new, eight-storey mental health and addictions facility located on the Vancouver General Hospital site. It will help provide the best care by:
- Providing a safe, healthy healing environment for clients and the staff who support them in their journey of recovery.
- Consolidating inpatient and outpatient services in one facility to provide clients a seamless continuum of care, and help them resume life in the community, safely and successfully.
- Replacing outdated facilities such as the former VGH Willow Chest Centre (circa 1948) and Health Centre (circa 1943).
- Providing space to support the long-term needs for mental health services.
- Providing space for academic and other clinical functions to further best practices in care.
- The total capital cost is estimated at $82 million. Thanks to $57 million in funding from the provincial government, a lead gift of $12 million from philanthropists Joseph and Rosalie Segal, and a commitment by VGH and UBC Hospital Foundation to raise an additional $13 million, the Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre will open the doors to a new era of mental health care.
As of July 2014, the Foundation is within $2 million of reaching its fundraising goal for this important project.
- Innovative design based on best practice, safety and patient-centred care
- A welcoming and bright building entry, with lots of natural light in common areas to create cheerful, healing spaces
- 100 private patient rooms, each with its own bathroom
- Dedicated, comfortable family and visitor space
- Access to outdoor space on each unit, rooftop gardens, and a new public park
- Exercise facilities
- Quiet places on each floor for reading and meditating
January 25, 2016 – Major milestone for the Joseph and Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre
August 31, 2015 – A crane named Lorna
July 17, 2015 – Ground blessing for Segal Centre
January 29, 2015 – $1-million donation from Bell Let’s Talk
September 25, 2014 – Blessing ceremony marks new beginning
October 15, 2013 – “I’ve never seen anything like this before”
March 2013 – Project approved to proceed
April 2013 – Request for Qualification released: Teams were invited to indicate their interest and qualifications to design and complete the building.
June 2013 – Request for Qualification closed
August 2013 – Request for Qualification to be awarded: A short-list of teams will be invited to respond to the Request for Proposal that will be released in the fall.
2013/2014 – Request for Proposal process: A RFP will be released to invite the short-list of teams to submit a business proposal. A successful team will be chosen to design and complete the building.
June/July 2014 - Demolition begins on Willow Chest, making way for site preparation and new construction.
July 2014 - Partners announce contract to design and build awarded to Ellis Don Corporation in partnership with Parkin Architects.
2014 – Construction is expected to begin
2017 – Facility is expected to open
Westley Davidson, NZIQS, CIQS, LEED AP
Manager, Capital Projects
Lower Mainland - Facilities Management
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation
(604) 875-4676 or 1 (877) 875-4676