The VCH Library Services team is committed to delivering the best possible knowledge and information resources to all staff, physicians and students at VCH. We support healthier communities, evidence-based practice, and clinical decision-making through partnerships and collaboration.
VCH Library Services provides literature searching, article retrieval, and research training in person or online. We have staffed research libraries with study space and computer stations at the following locations:
- Lions Gate Hospital - Located in the Hope Centre
- Richmond Hospital
- Vancouver Community - 520 West 6th Ave in Vancouver
Search our online catalogue to view our book and journal collections available at the Vancouver Community, Richmond Hospital, Lions Gate Hospital, and Indigenous Health libraries. Contact the library to find out how resources can be delivered to your VCH site via interoffice mail.
Note: Indigenous Health provides Indigenous Cultural Safety (ICS) books to VCH staff. The Indigenous Health library does not offer library reference services or VCH-networked staff computers.
There are a number of research databases and online tools available to employees and physicians on our Research Databases & Online Journals page. A full comprehensive list of all online resources is available on our OneVCH Library site. Usernames and passwords may be required to access some of these resources.
The CIBC Centre for Patients and Families helps people make informed choices before, during and after their hospital stay. Visit the Centre for Patients and Families website for more information.
We recommend the following online resources for patients and families:
- HealthLink BC - Provides British Columbians with health information and access to services.
- MedlinePlus – From the US National Library of Medicine, find reliable, up-to-date information about diseases, conditions, treatments, drugs, and wellness issues.
- Patient – UK based, you can find over 4,000 health information leaflets and a comprehensive directory of evidence-based articles.
- BC Cancer Agency Library – service and evidence-informed resources to people in BC and Yukon facing cancer
- Patient Health Education Materials Catalogue - Provides a wide range of health education brochures created by VCH.
- Public libraries can also be a great source for health information and community services.