The School Health Dietitian works with schools to promote a healthy school environment by:
Helen Yeung, School Health Dietitian
- Helping schools assess their food environment and set healthy eating goals
- Supporting the work of healthy eating committees
- Supporting the development of food and healthy eating policies
- Working with schools to plan initiatives such as farm-to-school and school gardens
- Consulting on the implementation of the BC Food and Beverage Guidelines (e.g. food service, fundraisers, vending machines, sports days)
- Providing professional development workshops (e.g. Brain Food)
- Providing healthy eating resources (e.g. Canada’s Food Guide, lesson plans for K-12 about food, nutrition, body image, gardens, etc.)
- Helping school staff find appropriate nutrition services for students (e.g. eating disorder services, nutrition counselling)
- Delivering nutrition education sessions to secondary school students or alternate school students
Tel: (604) 904-6458
Healthy eating at school
- Your one-stop shop for healthy eating resources, toolkits, and research related to fundraisers, gardens, policy-creation, and more.
Action schools! BC
- A best practices model designed to help schools create individualized healthy living action plans.
- Ideas to provide rewards for children in secondary schools and community programs.