It’s important for us to have an up-to-date record of your child’s immunizations if your child attends school or a licensed child care facility in the Vancouver Coastal Health region so we can:
- Respond effectively to disease outbreaks in child care facilities and schools
- Recommend immunizations your child may be missing
- Provide the best care for your child through our public health programs
Always keep a current immunization record for your child in a safe place. You will be asked for your child's record during their life. You will need the record if you register your child for daycare, school summer camp, college or university and for some travel.
If someone at school has a vaccine preventable disease, children who are unprotected or who don’t have a record may be asked to stay home until it is safe to return, possibly missing school activities and days or even weeks of school.
- Before your child starts Kindergarten, if you have not submitted their record.
- Every time your child receives a shot from a health care provider, such as your family doctor, or if you have just moved to the VCH area.
You do not need to report immunizations given to your child at a VCH community health centre or at at school by a public health nurse because those immunizations are automatically provided to us.
There are four ways to report your child's immunizations. You will need to refer to your child’s BC Health Passport or immunization record.
Drop off a photocopy of your child’s immunization record at your local community health centre.
Call your local community health centre to report immunizations over the phone. If you are directed to voicemail, leave the best number to be reached during the day and we’ll return your call as soon as we can.
Send a copy of the completed immunization information form below by fax or mail to a community health centre near you:
Immunization reporting form for children attending a child care facility
Immunization reporting form for children attending school
Call the community health centre near you and they’ll provide you with a copy.