Skip to main content

Keeping immunization records

It’s important for us to have an up-to-date record of your child’s immunizations if your child attends school or a licensed child care facility in the Vancouver Coastal Health region so we can:

  • Respond effectively to disease outbreaks in child care facilities and schools

  • Recommend immunizations your child may be missing

  • Provide the best care for your child through our public health programs

Always keep a current immunization record for your child in a safe place. You will be asked for your child's record during their life. You will need the record if you register your child for daycare, school summer camp, college or university and for some travel. If an infectious disease happens at their school or daycare, children who are missing immunizations may be asked to stay home.

If your child doesn't get all the routine vaccines or doesn't have a record

If someone at school has a vaccine preventable disease, children who are unprotected or who don’t have a record may be asked to stay home until it is safe to return, possibly missing school activities and days or even weeks of school.

When to report your child’s immunization record

  1. Before your child starts kindergarten, if you have not submitted their record

  2. Every time your child receives a shot from a health care provider, such as your family doctor, or if you have just moved to the VCH area

You do not need to report immunizations given to your child at a VCH community health centre or at at school by a public health nurse because those immunizations are automatically provided to us.

How to report your child’s immunization record

There are four ways to report your child's immunizations. You will need to refer to your child’s BC Health Passport or immunization record.

1. Report your child's immunization information by email

Download and save the Child immunization reporting form to your computer, fill out all fields and send via email.
Note: You must download the PDF form to able to fully access the document content. 

2. Drop-off a copy at your community health centre

Drop off a photocopy of your child’s immunization record at your local community health centre.

3. Call your community health centre 

Call your local community health centre to report immunizations over the phone. If you are directed to voicemail, leave the best number to be reached during the day and we’ll return your call as soon as we can.

4. Send a copy by mail or fax

Send a copy of the completed immunization information form below by fax or mail to a community health centre near you:

Get a printed copy of your child’s record after reporting

Call the community health centre near you and they’ll provide you with a copy.

SOURCE: Keeping immunization records ( )
Page printed:

Copyright © Vancouver Coastal Health. All Rights Reserved.