Skip to main content

Restaurant & food safety


Our public health inspectors, also known as environmental health officers, conduct more than 16,000 inspections of restaurants, food facilities and stores annually. We also educate food handlers and consumers about safe food handling practices.

Inspections are conducted regularly and when complaints are received. Each visit generates an inspection report that is provided to the operator to either confirm they are compliant with regulations or lists deficiencies that need to be addressed.

Website with inspection reports in Vancouver, Richmond, North Shore, Coast Garibaldi and the Bellas.

If you have concerns or questions about a restaurant or food safety, fill out our feedback form.

Food safety at home

Find out how you should handle and store food to prevent food poisoning or other food-related illness.

Restaurant closures

Resources for food establishments

Every operator of a food service establishment must have a valid annual permit. Find out how you can apply for a food service permit.

Are you serving or giving away food at your house for Vaisakhi Festival? Learn about the food permit rules on the Vancouver Vaisakhi Festival page

Read the FAQ: What to do in a Boil Water Notice (BWN) for food establishments

  • Does this notice affect establishments preparing and selling foods?

  • Does the notice affect food preparation in my establishment?

  • What is the accepted method for boiling water?

  • Can I use chemically disinfected water?

  • What do I do with food products produced during the water advisory?

  • What can I do about ice, ice making, beverage dispensers, and water units?

  • The food premise has a dishwasher. Is it safe to use? 

  • Can I continue to wash dishes by hand?

  • Can I use the water for hand washing?

  • Can I clean with tap water?

  • How do I deal with beverages?

  • We do our laundry in house. Should we change the way that we launder our linens in any way?

  • What happens after the water quality advisory is rescinded?

  • How will I know when the water quality notice is lifted?

  • Are patrons who drank water before the notice going to get sick?‎


View the latest  Food Safety Update Newsletter.

This publication keeps operators of food service establishments up to date on food safety, regulations and foodborne illness. Content is generated as a collaboration between Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health. 


All FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued prior to July 29, 2013 will expire on July 29, 2018. As of July 29, 2013, all FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in BC are valid for 5 years. 

Visit the FOODSAFE website to learn about the certification or renew your certificate. You can also contact your local Environmental Health Services office if you have questions.


Questions or complaints?

Fill out our feedback form 

Contact us through our feedback form or you can call your local office at one of the locations listed below:

SOURCE: Restaurant & food safety ( )
Page printed:

Copyright © Vancouver Coastal Health. All Rights Reserved.