If you need help with meals and personal care, particularly if you are living alone or feeling isolated, assisted living services may be an option for you. Assisted living is a housing plus health services option if you are still relatively independent but need a little extra help. It is one of the many Home and Community Care services we offer.
We provide subsidized assisted living service. Your monthly contribution to assisted living services covers:
- Accommodation: includes a private, lockable apartment or suite that you furnish with your own belongings. Buildings also have common dining and socializing spaces.
- Hospitality services: includes two meals a day (lunch and supper), weekly housekeeping, weekly laundering of linens (towels and sheets), social and recreational opportunities and 24-hour emergency response system.
- Personal care services: includes assistance with bathing, grooming, dressing and medication management.
This service is for seniors and people living with physical disabilities. You must:
- Be eligible to receive Home and Community Care services. Visit the Eligibility page for more details.
- Be able to direct your own care and make decisions.
- Be able to live independently but require help with daily activities.
- Be able to communicate and be understood by others.
- Not behave in ways that place the safety of others at risk.
- Be able to take direction in an emergency and use the emergency response system.
- Not be managing well in your home with the available services.
Visit the How to access services page and Costs page for home and community care services.
Learn more by reading our Assisted Living Handbook.
There are also privately operated, non-subsidized assisted living sites where we have no involvement in the funding or access process. Refer to the Seniors Housing Directory of BC for more information. You can also look in the phone book under Retirement Communities and Homes. The B.C. Seniors Advocate website is another good resource.
We have a number of subsidized assisted living homes in our region. The listings below, from our Locations & services directory
, include details and photos of each facility.