While mental illness or substance use can seriously affect you and your family members, recovery is possible. Like most illnesses, getting early treatment is important.
Mental Health and Substance Use services provide a range of health care and support services to adults and older adults struggling with acute, chronic, or recurring challenges, including:
- Adjustment Disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality Disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Substance Use
Services may be provided in hospitals, the community or in your own home. For services for children and youth, visit our children & youth mental health pages.
If you feel you might be in danger of hurting yourself or someone else, you should call 911 or go to a hospital emergency department right away.
Mental Health Emergency Services provide urgent and non-emergent care for individuals experiencing a mental health crisis. Services may be provided over the phone, in a clinic, or on an outreach basis.
You can access our services with a referral from your family doctor, nurse practitioner or psychiatrist. Some services can also be accessed directly without a referral.
- Adult Mental Health: Access & Assessment Centre (604) 675-3700 - phone lines and clinic open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or visit the Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Centre, Level 1 East Entrance, 803 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9.
- Older Adult Mental Health: (604) 709-6785 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Addiction Services: 1 (866) 658-1221 - phone lines open Monday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- Adult Mental Health & Addiction: (604) 244-5488 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Older Adult Mental Health & Addiction: (604) 675-3975 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- North Shore: (604) 983-6020 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Pemberton: (604) 698-5861 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Powell River: (604) 485-3300 - phone lines open Monday to Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Squamish: (604) 815-3008 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sunshine Coast (Gibsons, Sechelt & Pender Harbour): (604) 885-6101 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Whistler: (604) 698-6455 - phone lines open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Professionally trained volunteers can provide free, confidential, non-judgmental, emotional support if you are experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
Crisis Centre of BC
Vancouver, Richmond, North Shore and Sea to Sky: (604) 872-3111 - phone lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and Bella Coola: 1 (866) 661-3311 (toll-free) - phone lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Richmond CHIMO Community Services: (604) 279-7070 - phone lines open 8:00 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week
Provincial Crisis Centre: 1 (800) SUICIDE - 1 (800) 784-2433 - phone lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or visit www.crisiscentrechat.ca
Seniors Distress Line: (604) 872-1234 - phone lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week