Psychiatrists are an integral part of the Vancouver Coastal Mental Health team, they are dedicated to delivering unparalleled acute and community-based care and rehabilitation services. Our dynamic teams include over 100 psychiatrists, across multiple clients and communities across VCH.
Where you'll work
Psychiatrists at VCH work in acute, hospital, community, and long-term care based settings allowing supportive and extended outreach to accommodate clients’ needs. With comprehensive, diverse teams and wrap-around services of healthcare disciplines, VCH promotes a culture of team-based care, collaboration and continuous development.
The Access and Assessment Centre (AAC) helps individuals’ and families’ access mental health and substance use services. The AAC is located in the Joseph & Rosalie Segal & Family Health Centre at Vancouver General Hospital. Services include referral intake, on-site assessment, crisis intervention, and short-term treatment, with the goal to match clients’ needs to healthcare services and resources, striving to provide low-barrier access to client-centred care and support.
The UBC Mood Disorders Centre (MDC) Research, Education, Awareness, and Care Hub or MDC REACH is a specialized psychiatric program located within the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health and affiliated with Vancouver Coastal Health with a mission to improve the lives of people living with mood disorders (depression, bipolar disorder) through creating and translating scientific knowledge into innovative clinical care.
Independent or with clinical colleagues, VCH Psychiatrists offer client support in a variety of settings including private residences, Single Room Occupancy (SROs), shelters, corrections offices, detention centres, and public spaces.
Why work at Vancouver Coastal Health?
- Employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities to support your career growth
- Culture where all voices are heard and innovator in medical care, research and teaching.
- Research opportunities as you join a team to strive to provide leading edge health-care through research and innovation
- Health and wellness supports for you and your family, including counselling, Peer Support, Family Support and a 24-hour helpline
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Working with wrap-around services and multi-disciplinary teams promotes a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement in high quality comprehensive care
Collaborate with teams to provide quality care
With wrap-around services and support available, psychiatrists have the opportunity to collaborate with amazing medical staff and allied health care teams of Nurses, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists, Health Care Workers, Peer Specialists, Family Physicians, Concurrent Disorders Clinicians as well as external partnerships, to provide quality care. In order to support growing needs to support the populations, virtual and in-person services are available.
We ensure a smooth client transition from the acute care environment to appropriate community health services. Engagement with key internal and external partners is key to achieve excellence in client and family centered care.
Mental Health and Substance Use Services has a number of programs and services to support children, youth, adults and older adults our variety of the opportunities include:
- General Psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Medical Psychiatry
- Elder Care Psychiatry
- Intellectual Disability Psychiatry
We offer wide of programs and services cross our communities