Parking during ongoing construction
We are committed to ensuring minimal disruption during ongoing construction on our campus.
Do not park in designated construction zones. Certain areas have been temporarily blocked off for construction, as indicated above.
The parkade is only accessible via the Gilbert Rd entrance. See the entry point in the image above.
Paid parking remains in effect.
Continue to park in areas clearly designated for patient parking, including our parkade. These spaces are reserved to ensure you have easy access to the hospital.
Metabolic and bariatric surgery is also known as weight loss surgery treats obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and high cholesterol, and other diseases by making changes to the digestive system.
How to access
Watch the video on who qualifies for bariatric surgery. Please note changes are reflected in the list below.
- > 18 years of age
- BMI ≥35 kg/m2
- BMI 30-34.9 kg/m2 for individuals with metabolic disease
- BMI ≥27.5 kg/m2 for Asian population
- Stable mental health for a period of 18 months
- Medical problems that increase the risk of elective surgery
- Inability to follow directions or comply with recommendations
- Active/Recent substance abuse
- Smoking (must be smoke-free for 6 months)
- Alcohol or other illicit drugs (sober for at least 18 months)
- Unstable mental health such as bulimia, suicidality, mood lability, major neurocognitive disorder, or other psychiatric illness that can affect a patient’s ability to cope with the potential challenges after bariatric surgery (require 18 months of mental health stability)
Get a referral
At Richmond Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (RMBS), we give patients the tools to conquer obesity and realize their potential. We are one of two comprehensive multidisciplinary bariatric surgery programs in British Columbia. All our procedures are done using laparoscopic techniques, also known as minimally invasive surgery.
A referral is required from your family physician to Dr. Nam Nguyen, Dr. Sharadh Sampath or Dr. Yorke. Medical professionals can download our referral package on Pathways and fax it to (604) 279-1784.
Please note that appointments are at the Richmond Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Clinic:
Unit 120 – 6091 Gilbert Road, Richmond, B.C. V7C 5L9
The surgery is at Richmond Hospital.
Hours of operation
- Monday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Wednesday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Thursday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Friday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Closed on statutory holidays and weekends.
Pay parking is located behind the Richmond Health Sciences building (6091 Gilbert Road) and rates currently are $3.35 for 1.5 hours.
The Richmond Hospital has state-of-the-art minimally invasive surgery operating rooms with high-definition 3D digital video laparoscopes and bariatric operating tools to deliver surgical precision and improve patient safety.
The hospital also has bariatric-size patient transfer devices, ceiling lifts, scales, beds, chairs, wheelchairs, showers, wide-bore MRI, and a CT scan table threshold of 400 lbs. Unlike daycare surgical centers that lack inpatient beds, sophisticated diagnostic imaging and interventional radiology, our patients have access to all of Richmond General Hospital’s state-of-the-art technology and exceptional 24-hour nursing care. Our patients are monitored closely and carefully in the hospital until they are ready for discharge.
Richmond Hospital (RH)
Richmond Hospital (RH) and its community partners provide a broad range of health services to residents.