Skip to main content

Temporary events & markets

A food premises is any place where food intended for public consumption is sold, offered for sale, supplied, handled, prepared, packaged, displayed, served, processed, stored, transported or dispensed.

Temporary food premises and similar facilities at special events and food markets require an approval under Provincial legislation. Food preparation for public consumption must be done in a manner that prevents a health hazard from occurring. Following proper food handling procedures will help reduce the risks. Health reviews by Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) are necessary to minimize public health risks for events and markets.

Temporary events and Temporary Food Markets have their own definitions, and the different activities that are permitted for each.

Temporary events

Temporary events are time-limited public gatherings such as fairs, festivals, seasonal holiday events, tradeshows, and fundraising events. These events have activities regulated by the health authority under the Public Health Act, including:

  • Food vending
  • Personal services
  • Associated water and wastewater systems 

An Event Coordinator is often required. Home-prepared foods are not allowed.

Temporary Food Markets

Temporary Food Markets are farmers' markets whose vendors grow, make, bake, raise, or wild harvest the products they sell from temporary venues. The sale of whole fruits or vegetables, or prepackaged non-potentially hazardous foods are allowed. Foods prepared at home are limited to lower risk foods as defined in the Provincial Guidelines for Sale of Foods at Temporary Food Markets

A Market Manager is required at markets and must have a comprehensive understanding of the Provincial guideline.

Application process:

Requirements for getting approval vary based on the type of facility, though some documentation are similar. Contact the Environmental Health Officer (EHO) well in advance of event to review health requirements. The larger your event/market, the earlier you should be in contact with the EHO. Events and Markets in areas without infrastructure will require advance planning. For instance, plans to provide potable water to a site where there is none. Once documents are submitted and reviewed, an Environmental Health Officer will let you know if more details are needed.

Click here for application forms
SOURCE: Temporary events & markets ( )
Page printed:

Copyright © Vancouver Coastal Health. All Rights Reserved.