Lions Gate Hospital Redevelopment
Transforming the future of health care for our growing and diverse Coastal Community
We are making significant investments at Lions Gate Hospital through new buildings, renovations and improvements to existing facilities and investing in new technology and medical equipment.
The new Paul Myers Tower at Lions Gate Hospital will replace aging infrastructure, accommodate new services and meet the increasing health care needs of the residents of the North Shore, Sea-to-Sky corridor, Sunshine Coast, Powell River, Bella Bella, Bella Coola and surrounding Indigenous communities.
Funding for the project is being provided by government through Vancouver Coastal Health and a $100-million fundraising campaign by LGH Foundation. The new acute care facility will be named the Paul Myers Tower after the North Shore businessman and philanthropist who donated $25 million to the Foundation's $100-million campaign.
- Six-floor acute tower with new Medical Device Reprocessing Department
- 108 large, modern rooms with private washrooms providing privacy and space for patients, families and caregivers
- Eight state-of-the-art operating rooms, 39 pre-op and post surgery spaces including anaesthesia intervention and isolation rooms
- Increased focus on outdoor space and sustainable facilities including a Roof Garden with walking path and secured bike parking with lockers and EV outlets
- Technology upgrades with real time outcome measures , including access to electronic medical records (CST Cerner) and ability to deliver care virtually from any workstation
- Advisors from the Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh nations worked in collaboration with VCH on key aspects of the project including Welcome figures and other Indigenous art, Two Sisters Outdoor Gathering Area, Elder-in-Residence Office and Sacred Space
Embracing the vision: meet the dedicated staff bringing life to the new Paul Myers Tower
What goes up, must come down: crane demobilization at Paul Myers Tower
Notable construction milestones achieved on new Paul Myers Tower at Lions Gate Hospital
Paul Myers Tower concept renderings
Paul Myers Tower
North Entrance - 14th Street
Two Sisters Outdoor Gathering Area
Existing tower, the new Paul Myers Tower and HOpe building
View from above showing the Rooftop Garden area
The crane was recently demobilized at the new Paul Myers Tower and the construction team has finished the structural completion including completing pouring the concrete for all six floors and the roof.
February 2018: Business plan approved by the Ministry of Health
Fall 2018 - Spring 2021: Procurement phase - contract awarded to PCL
August 2021: Ground blessing ceremony
Vancouver Coastal Health acknowledges that the land on which Lions Gate Hospital lies is the traditional and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations. To honour the protocols, rights, and title of the host Nations, a ground blessing ceremony was held.
Fall 2021: Construction begins
2021 -Spring 2023: Detailed design
The Lions Gate Hospital Redevelopment team engaged with staff, physicians, patient partners, and Indigenous stakeholders to get input, comments, and feedback on detailed designs of the hospital.
Spring 2024: Construction completes
Early 2025: New Paul Myers Tower projected opening
The new Paul Myers Tower is expected to open in 2025, stay up to date on our latest progress by checking out our recent articles and videos.
Paul Myers Tower Construction Update - Spring 2023
Significant construction progress completed including the completion of concrete pouring for all six floors and the roof.Video: Paul Myers Tower Construction Update - Spring 2023
From the archives
North Vancouver General Hospital in 1908
North Vancouver General Hospital in 1929
Ground breaking ceremony at North Vancouver General Hospital
News and updates
- Embracing the vision: meet the dedicated staff bringing life to the new Paul Myers Tower (July 27, 2023)
- What goes up, must go down: crane demobilization at Paul Myers Tower (June 28, 2023)
- Notable construction milestones achieved on new Paul Myers Tower at Lions Gate Hospital (May 28, 2023)
- From cardboard to concrete: Mock-ups help refine hospital design (October 4, 2021)
- PCL Constructors to build new Paul Myers Tower at Lions Gate Hospital (May 19, 2021)
- Out with the old and in with the new at Lions Gate Hospital (July 31, 2020)
- Lions Gate Hospital has the power (February 20, 2020)
- LGH power plant reaches significant construction milestone (May 2, 2019)
- Province approves next step towards a new LGH acute care facility (September 20, 2018)
- Planning moves ahead for new acute care facility at Lions Gate Hospital (June 22, 2017)
Building to support the delivery of care
We are continually expanding and improving our hospitals and care facilities in order to provide custom-built or renovated buildings that support delivery of care.