Vancouver Vaisakhi Festival

Close up photo of Panta bhat or soaking rice

If you are serving or giving away food while on public land (e.g. sidewalks, the street), there are some rules & tips to follow so that everyone has a healthy and safe celebration.

Private vs public land

Determine if you are serving food while on public or private residential property. The image below shows the difference between private and public land with arrows. You do not need a food permit if food is given away inside your yard and your private property. If you are on public property, follow the rest of the instructions.

Vaisakhi food stalls: private vs public land

Food safety

Read the following information and ensure you're following food safety procedures. 

Food safety do's & don'ts

Read the following images and ensure you follow food safety do's and don'ts.

Submit application

Complete the temporary food services application. You may complete the application on this webpage or print the application. Submit the completed application at least 14 business days before the festival.


An environmental health officer is available to help you in English or Punjabi. Call 604-675-3800 or email

Related articles

Child care licensing FAQs

Enviromental Health operating permit fees

Residental care facilities substance use information

Outdoor air quality

Indoor air quality

Storms and flooding

Food safety at home

E-substances regulation

Tobacco & vapour products protection

Residential care resources

Bed bugs