Indigenous Patient Navigators support patients, families and staff while respecting local traditions, protocols, and practices to ensure culturally safe health care services.
What to expect
Indigenous Patient Navigators provide direct patient and family support, including access to Elders, traditional ceremonies, and traditional healing practices, as well as support and education to health-care team members caring for Indigenous patients. The services provided by IPNs include:
- consultation with health care staff on health care planning for patients;
- resource/contact information on Indigenous-specific resources and referrals for health-care teams;
- coaching and consultation on Indigenous patient care;
- traditional cultural support – smudging, traditional medicines;
- talk with patients and family on health-care needs; and
- Indigenous Cultural Safety education.
Lower Mainland Indigenous Patient Navigator
Sechelt (shíshálh) Indigenous Patient Navigator
To access the support of the Indigenous Patient Navigator within Sechelt (shíshálh), please contact Cyndi Peal by phone or by email: