Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP)

Find this service near you
abstract illustration representing sand

Need help immediately?

If there is an urgent safety concern, please call 9-1-1 or go to emergency at your nearest hospital.

Suicide hotline: 1-800-784-2433

Call BC Crisis Line: 604-310-6789

Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868

KUU-US Crisis Support Line (BC Wide Indigenous Toll Free Crisis and Support Line): 1-800-588-8717

The Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP) funds professional counselling for adults who were sexually abused as children while living in a provincially funded residence.

What to expect

When your application is approved, Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP) will contact you directly by phone. RHAP will provide you with a list of counsellors currently accepting clients. If you already have a counsellor, RHAP will need to ensure that they meet VCH’s professional standards and may be able to support you to continue to see your current counsellor. RHAP will arrange payment directly with your RHAP counsellor. There is no fee charged to you for these services.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do we require the abuse to be reported?

    To apply, the dates of when you were in care and/or the address of the home or facility when the sexual abuse occurred (if known) is required. If children currently live in the home who may need protection, the appropriate government ministry and/or the police may contact you for more information. If you receive counselling through RHAP, you still have the right to seek legal advice through a lawyer, take legal action and or file a police report if you choose to do so. You do not have to file a police report or prove sexual abuse occurred to be eligible for RHAP.

  • What if I live outside of the Vancouver Coastal Health region?

    VCH provides RHAP services throughout the VCH health region.

    If you live outside of the VCH health region, please contact your home health region listed below to apply for service in your health area. RHAP is a provincial program and is offered through each health authority.


Becoming a RHAP provider

​To apply to be a contracted RHAP provider, email or call (604) 875-4255 for more information. 


  • Clinicians have a minimum of a master's degree in an applicable field with a minimum of 3 years post-masters experience

  • Clinicians are in good standing with their registration body

  • Clinicians work in private practice with capacity for in person sessions in a professional office setting with varied appointment times available

  • Clinicians also have experience and or advanced training in supporting clients with complex trauma

This service is available at
This service is available at

Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP) at 520 West 6th

200 - 520 West 6th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
See directions on Google Maps
See more details